Wednesday, December 5, 2012

I found something I enjoy doing.

Taking intermediate ESL students to the advanced level.

After the brief, yet warranted mutiny yesterday (my second day of being more than a little tardy to 8am class) that included venting to management, I have my students back where I want them. Eating from the hand of knowledge.

I always suspected I would love teaching and law and I am half right so far.

This afternoon, Gina, the first student take advantage of the free hour I make myself available each day, told me of her struggle in the last five years since returning to Ecuador from the United States. She is losing vocabulary and general language production skills. In addition,  she is challenged by the spanish writing voice.

It will be interesting to see how I help students transition this voice and ultimatly lay new neurological paths.

I already have ideas using the visual Gina showed me today that illustrates the differences between the "voices" that dictate her speech and writing style.

I will need to show my students how they can write short, concise sentences with limited lexicon in English, as opposed to the ever flowing,  extended, and decorated style of the Spanish voice.

I also recognized that I will need to learn to adapt my teaching voice to suite different first languages.

No comments:

Post a Comment